Featured College Readiness Standard
Cross-Disciplinary Standard II - Foundational Skills
II. Foundational Skills
A. Reading across the curriculum
- Use effective prereading strategies.
- Use a variety of strategies to understand the meanings of new words.
- Identify the intended purpose and audience of the text.
- Identify the key information and supporting details.
- Analyze textual information critically.
- Annotate, summarize, paraphrase, and outline texts when appropriate.
- Adapt reading strategies according to the structure of texts.
- Connect reading to historical and current events and personal interest.
B. Writing across the curriculum
- Write clearly and coherently using standard writing conventions.
- Write in a variety of forms for various audiences and purposes.
- Compose and revise drafts.
C. Research across the curriculum
- Understand which topics or questions are to be investigated.
- Explore a research topic.
- Refine research topic based on preliminary research and devise a timeline for completing work.
- Evaluate the validity and reliability of sources.
- Synthesize and organize information effectively.
- Design and present an effective product.
- Integrate source material.
- Present final product.
D. Use of data
- Identify patterns or departures from patterns among data.
- Use statistical and probabilistic skills necessary for planning an investigation and collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data.
- Present analyzed data and communicate findings in a variety of formats.
- Use technology to gather information.
- Use technology to organize, manage, and analyze information.
- Use technology to communicate and display findings in a clear and coherent manner.
- Use technology appropriately.
More CCRS Resources